Last year one of my most viewed posts was this simple list reminding writers who find themselves discouraged, stuck or otherwise, that there are very good reasons to keep writing beyond the big Pie in the Sky of publishing. I thought I’d pull it back out as a reminder to you:
- Creativity has been proven to have positive effects on health, self-esteem and vitality
- Writing is good for your brain, creates a state similar to meditation
- Writing hones your powers of observation, giving you a fuller experience of life
- Writing hones your powers of concentration and attention, which is more fractured than ever thanks to technology and TV
- Writing connects you with others through blogging, writing groups, live readings, and self-publishing outlets like Scribd and Smashwords.
- Through writing we preserve stories and memories that may otherwise be lost
- Writing entertains you and others, and having fun is an important part of good health
- Writing strengthens your imagination, and imagination is key to feeling hope and joy
- Writing helps heal and process wounds and grief, clearing them out
- Life is too short not to do what you enjoy
Comment here with your own reasons why, and my favorite will win a free digital copy of Forged in Grace.